Friday, January 20, 2012

The weekend....

Well, this was the first week of the small changes. I did not have any desserts at work - just the fruit salad. I resisted the urge to buy potato chips. However, on a particularly nasty drive back home, I did have a chocolate bar. All in all, I feel I met my goal of watching what I'm eating. Next week, I'll start the food diary. As for cutting back on salt, I have started reading the labels...OMG! WHY is there sodium in fruit juice and why do my favourite cereals have so much sodium?? In Canada, the recommended daily limit of sodium is 1,500. I think it's time that food companies were forced to reduce their sodium content...but that's not likely to happen. Kale chips.....I did buy some kale and did try the kale chips....I think I'll pass and just eat unsalted popcorn instead :) Speaking of popcorn, I think I'm going to buy an old fashioned pot that I saw in the Lee Valley catalogue. It's used on the stove top. All the microwave popcorn that you can buy is heavily salted so I need to avoid that option. Now that we have a good base of snow, I'm looking forward to strapping on my snowshoes and treking through the back acreage. We might even have some sunshine for a change! Had my BP read again today.....it's still too high but it was another stress-filled day at work so I need to really practice on mediation. Time off would be great but we are short staffed - again - while one of my colleagues is undergoing major surgery. We'll be working short staffed for a good number of weeks yet ..... and hiring a replacement is not an option. That being said, I am taking a day next week and another day the week after to get some things done. I won't be hanging around home but that's just the way it is. So, time to hit the pillow with a good book for a bit and hopefully get a decent night's sleep :)

1 comment:

  1. you're on your way! I'm also a coffee addict but went 1/2-1/2 a few years ago, now I'm overwhelmed by the full-octane! See if you can work to using skim milk, that'll make a big difference (maybe start with 1/2 1%, 1/2 skim?). Also, I use the stovetop popper, a tiny bit of oil and I season with pepper. Whole grains, sweet potatoes instead of russets, and oatmeal for breakfast - oats are great! Gotta say I'm with you on the kale chips, I had to really salt them to eat them and that won't work! And get enough sleep! :-)

    ReplyDelete