Monday, January 16, 2012

Let's try again...2012

My visit to the family doctor was for a prescription for new orthotics. The clinic now routinely checks blood pressure. My normal BP usually around 120/80. This visit...172/82. By the time the doctor saw me, it was 144/82. So, it's too high - but given the time of year - right after all the holiday insanity, the extra food...and the year end work in the office, this isn't really a surprise!
I've had the same doctor for more 25 years so he knows me well. He feels confident that I can avoid the medication route with some typical lifestyle changes - all the usual things, exercise, lose weight, less salt.

I have 6 weeks before my next visit so I'm starting this year's blog as a way of keeping myself on track.

the vitals - height 5'5" - weight (165 lbs) so that needs to come down some. Age..on the high side of 50 :)
Work - a desk job. My commute - 1 hour drive (75 km) each way - 5 days a week.

The changes...SMALL ones...which I think in the long run will be much easier to incorporate as a way of life.

First of all - I LOVE my coffee. I'm not sure how old I was when I had my first cup but I think I was around 10. If I'm not mistaken, Canadians rank among the highest consumers of coffee in the world, with Finns not far behind - so as a Canadian with Finnish ancestry, my love of coffee comes naturally :)
I probably drink 4-5 cups in the morning and the occasional cup in the afternoon. Since I get free coffee at work AND I can get decaffinated, fresh brewed as well, I'm going to start drinking 1/2 & 1/2 (regular with decaf) I already dropped my "Tim Horton's" addiction as a cost saving measure (why pay when you can get free coffee!) but there are still days when nothing but a Timmy's will do.

Exercise - I normally walk ( 2.2 km) every night after work but for some reason, this has been a bigger chore this winter than normal. I think it's partly because it's been the most dreary fall/winter in years! Without the usual amount of sunshine, it just seems like it takes too much energy to get up and go after getting home and getting the chores done.
But, I'm back on track and it's feeling good :) Since Dusty has an injured back leg, I'm only walking with Cricket but once Dusty's back in form, I plan to walk each individually at least 3 times a week which will up my mileage. When I had four dogs to walk, I always took them 2 at a time and feel great. It's time to get back to that!

As for my 'creaky bones' I recently found out that their is a yoga class once a week in the nearby village. I'm signing up for the class starting this Wednesday - I'm hoping that I'll soon be able to touch my toes again :) and I'm sure it will be good for relieving stress.

I've never believed in diets, so I'm going on the 'cut back on portions' and leave the dessert tray alone. I work in a residential home for seniors so we all get to eat what the residents eat....and the food is great...especially the desserts. So, I'm going to try to only eat the fruit - not the pies, cakes, tarts.....

They say each journey begins with the first step...so here's mine :)

2 comments:

  1. I just gave up coffee. And it was HARD! But I love it so much. I am down to drinking decaf. You can do this and sounds like you are on the right road.:)

    ReplyDelete