Friday, February 3, 2012

a glorious evening

It was an amazing night for a walk on the wildside. The temperature was pleasant -4C, with no wind and 3/4 moon shining. I set out with Cricket for our evening jaunt. This time, I improvised a 'hands free' leash and was able to use my skipoles as well. It was truly a beautiful walk - invigorating since I was walking more quickly because I wasn't holding a leash. Not once did I put on my headlamp - the moon was bright enough to allow for walking with ease. It was amazingly quiet as well. Last night, the wolves were howling when we walked - tonight - total silence. I didn't even hear the sounds from the highway (while over 1 km from our home it can be loud depending on weather conditions) The walk is just under 3 km. with a terrain that is more uphill on the return. I timed myself - and was pleased that I walked it in 14 minutes. My goal is to walk that distance in 10 minutes before my next doctor's appt. in 3 weeks. Given the fact that I was walking in rather icy conditions, I am confident that the 10 minute return is feasible. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day...maybe I'll take time for a much longer walk since snowshoeing is out of the picture right now - not enough snow! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment