Friday, April 30, 2010

Dad's birthday.....

If my dad were alive, it would be his 92nd birthday. He has been gone for almost 6 years now....funny, sometimes I still hear his voice. :) He was a pushover for the dogs. He had a little pomeranian, Shadow, and I had a BC X, Brandy. My dad would often dog sit for me. I can still hear him saying...I can't eat my breakfast in peace, because those dogs are sitting there looking at me with those sorrowful eyes. yep, he was a pushover. He loved those dogs dearly and they were the most spoiled dogs ever. The dogs died within months of each other...both having lived 16 1/2 years. My dad always said there was no way he wanted another dog BUT...in March that year, I brought Tippy to them. Mom wanted another dog and she got her way. Tippy loved them both equally and in less than one day, she had dad wrapped around her paws...
My dad was a man of few words and I can't ever recall him saying "I love you" but he had his own way of showing it. When I found myself single again at 35 years old, I decided to take a trip to a sunny climate that winter. I asked my dad what he wanted me to bring him (having remembered that as kids we always asked for gifts)His reply was short and sweet - "YOU, and not in a pine box"....yes indeed, my dad loved me for sure - he just had his own way of saying it. :)
So, today, on his 92nd birthday...I say here's to you poppa bear. always loved and always missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment